X

Create an account to continue reading.

Registered readers have access to our blogs and a limited number of magazine articles
For unlimited access to The Spectator, subscribe below

Sign in to continue

Already have an account?

What's my subscriber number?

Subscribe now from £1 a week

Online

Unlimited access to The Spectator including the full archive from 1828

Print

Weekly delivery of the magazine

App

Phone & tablet edition of the magazine

Spectator Club

Subscriber-only offers, events and discounts

View subscription offers

Already a subscriber?

or

Subscribe now for unlimited access

ALL FROM JUST £1 A WEEK

View subscription offers

Thank you for creating your account – To update your details click here to manage your account

Thank you for creating an account – Your subscriber number was not recognised though. To link your subscription visit the My Account page

X

Login

Don't have an account? Sign up
X

Subscription expired

Your subscription has expired. Please go to My Account to renew it or view subscription offers.

X

Forgot Password

Please check your email

If the email address you entered is associated with a web account on our system, you will receive an email from us with instructions for resetting your password.

If you don't receive this email, please check your junk mail folder.

X

It's time to subscribe.

You've read all your free Spectator magazine articles for this month.

Subscribe now for unlimited access – from just £1 a week

Subscribe now for unlimited access

Online

Print

Weekly delivery of the magazine

App

Phone & tablet edition of the magazine

Spectator Club

X

Sign up

What's my subscriber number? Already have an account?

X

Your subscriber number is the 8 digit number printed above your name on the address sheet sent with your magazine each week. If you receive it, you’ll also find your subscriber number at the top of our weekly highlights email.

Entering your subscriber number will enable full access to all magazine articles on the site.

If you cannot find your subscriber number then please contact us on customerhelp@subscriptions.spectator.co.uk or call 0330 333 0050. If you’ve only just subscribed, you may not yet have been issued with a subscriber number. In this case you can use the temporary web ID number, included in your email order confirmation.

You can create an account in the meantime and link your subscription at a later time. Simply visit the My Account page, enter your subscriber number in the relevant field and click 'submit changes'.

If you have any difficulties creating an account or logging in please take a look at our FAQs page.

Australia Features Australia

I was a victim of Tony’s feminist ideology

Don’t be fooled: Abbott’s character has been misrepresented

29 September 2012

9:00 AM

29 September 2012

9:00 AM

It was Tony Abbot’s fault that I just missed out on being elected as a delegate to the 1998 constitutional convention. The reason was Tony’s obsession with women’s rights. He persuaded the leaders of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy not just to provide nominal unelectable places. He argued successfully that places on the election ticket should alternate between men and women. When I just missed out they asked me to go as an adviser and speechwriter and, it transpired, as an alternate. But when the government was about to appoint me to head the Vote No committee, they realised I was ineligible because I had missed out being elected.

Thanks, Tony.

The fact is that people who think Tony Abbott has difficulties with women just don’t know him. Not only has he long believed in equal rights — as I know only too well — he is also a chivalrous man. That of course drives those old-fashioned militant left-wing feminists up the wall.

Now leftist commentator David Marr writes that 35 years ago Tony Abbott punched the wall around the head of the then president of Sydney University’s student representative council, Barbara Ramjan. But no one — including David Marr — actually saw this.

Marr believes that journalists must be ‘sceptical of authority’, and I agree.

But he doesn’t apply this to former student politician Ramjan, who waited an inexplicable 35 years to make public her claim that this criminal assault took place. She did not go to the police, as one other student politician did about yet another claim against Abbott (which was dismissed). Nor did she ask the university to act.

She did not bother to mention it, as the very diligent Gerard Henderson has demonstrated, in her contemporaneous complaints to the student newspaper, nor when she was interviewed about Abbott for the Sun-Herald in July 2004. It wasn’t mentioned when Abbott took the very public position of executive director of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy. Nor did it surface when he sought Liberal preselection, nor when he became a Minister of the Crown, nor even when he was elected Leader of the Opposition.

The complaint was only launched when the Left feared Abbott’s march towards the Lodge was unstoppable.

David Marr’s vigorous endorsement of such a flimsy, questionable claim can best be understood when we realise that in his world, being sceptical is only one aspect of sound journalism. The other is the requirement that a journalist be on the ‘soft left’ end of the political spectrum, unlike the ‘right-wing thugs’ he says are hired as commentators on talkback and elsewhere.

This explains a lot. Why else does Marr favour Ramjan’s strangely delayed account? She’s on the Left, Tony’s on the Right.

Gerard Henderson, unrivalled in forensic skills, says the evidence suggests Marr did little research for this essay, which explains why it contains virtually no new material.

Henderson dismisses it as a ‘shoddy, unprofessional piece of work’. And it is certainly not about the Tony Abbott I know.

I first met him two decades ago when he was the executive director of Australians for Constitutional Monarchy. He originally shared an office with a former air force officer who was a Vietnam veteran, who insists he never once heard Tony Abbott being aggressive or unpleasant on the tele­phone or with other staff. Lloyd Waddy, later a judge, says the same. Neither saw any evidence that Abbott could not get on with women.

My immediate impression was of a friendly young man with a firm handshake — but not ostentatiously so — and rugged good looks. His ears suggested a boxer’s: my father was a boxing champion so I was used to seeing what this sport could do.

I formed the opinion over the next months and years that Abbott has those great qualities of modesty, loyalty and a strong attachment to principles. He stood out even at ACM as a born leader.

He has never used his community involvements for political advantage. Until he became leader and the media started following his every move, few people even knew that for many years he had been a fireman and a lifesaver. His regular stays with indigenous people in remote Australia were not fly-in fly-out media exercises.

He was loyal to the end to his Prime Minister, John Howard. He resigned from the Turnbull front bench against the advice of the Gallery, who predicted a subsequent electoral massacre. This was not to advance his own leadership, but offered only after Malcolm refused to delay any decision on that great big new tax, the ETS, until after Copenhagen.

By doing so Abbott put his career on the line, a career as an effective minister exercising proper control over his portfolio. Unlike with so many ministers recently, there has not been the slightest suggestion of incompetence or profligacy under his administration.

As to principles, he is, as we know, committed to what he calls our crowned republic. He is a Catholic, but to the annoyance of the Gallery, not what Cardinal Pell calls a ‘cafeteria Catholic’: one who believes only those doctrines consistent with the current fashions.

Orthodox Catholic doctrine actually touches on few issues which are in the political arena, and most of these are more state than federal issues. Abbott does not suggest abortion be criminalised. He says it should be discouraged, surely a view held by most Australians.

Tony Abbott is a fine, committed, principled and loyal Australian. That does not mean Australians should vote for him. But their vote should in no way be coloured by any misrepresentation about his character and competence.

Subscribe to The Spectator today for a quality of argument not found in any other publication. Get more Spectator for less – just £12 for 12 issues.

Show comments
Close