The Spectator’s social and video operation has grown rapidly and significantly over the past 18 months, particularly short-form video published on our fast-growing YouTube channel. We’re looking for a creative and journalistically driven Social Media Editor to help continue that growth and improve our presence and engagement across all our channels.
We’re looking for someone to work out what should be promoted, how, when and where – and who has an instinctive feel for how best to engage with new and long-term readers.
We don’t do clickbait. Subscribers come to us for three reasons: diversity of opinion, elegance of expression and independence of thought. Our social media needs to reflect that.
You’re the kind of person who is..
- A keen follower of current affairs. You keep up-to-date with the current news agenda, can spot trending subjects and react quickly and efficiently.
- A brilliant communicator. You’ll be collaborating with editors, journalists, designers and producers to brainstorm how best to bring our stories to life across different channels.
- Conceptual, who can oversee the creation of impactful and on-brand assets for our visually led platforms.
- A natural storyteller – with exceptional written and verbal communication skills as well as editorial judgment.
- Able to demonstrate a passion, curiosity and fluency in digital and social media.
Day to day you will:
- Publish and schedule the most news-making and shareable moments from The Spectator’s magazine, website and broadcast team, to give them a second life on social media and drive influence, listening, reach and engagement.
- Implement a video and social media strategy to continue growing The Spectator’s subscriber and follower base on all key platforms: YouTube, X (Twitter), Instagram, Facebook and TikTok.
- Work with the broadcast team producers to develop compelling, journalistically strong videos from The Spectator.
- Lead on adoption of emerging social platforms and tools (like AI) and take responsibility for the growth of new social channels.
You’ll have the following:
- Proven experience in developing and executing successful video and social media strategies.