So. Farewell then 2023. Twelve months of strikes, strife and struggle – though (mercifully) fewer occupants in No. 10. In Britain, the year ends as it began, with Rishi Sunak struggling in the polls. There is, however, a new King on the throne after the Coronation back in May. Abroad, the Ukraine war continued to rage, with the conflict over Gaza flaring up in October after the atrocities committed by Hamas. Joe Biden entertained and disappointed in equal measure with yet more gaffes and missteps, ahead of a likely rematch with Donald Trump in next year’s presidential contest.
Below is a round-up of Steerpike’s most read articles from 2023, touching on some of those stories. No less than three of the top ten were about the dilettante Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as public feeling turned decisively against the renegade royals. But there was a distinctly tartan flavour to the list below, with first and fourth place about, respectively, Mhairi Black and the long-running Police Scotland probe into the SNP finances. Let’s hope by next Christmas we have some answers on that…
Mr S thanks his unfortunate victims for providing such great material this year and looks forward to much more of the same in 2024.
- Is Mhairi Black Westminster’s laziest MP?
- Ex-BBC presenters close ranks around Huw Edwards
- Red-faced Angela Rayner embarrassed over expenses
- SNP probe investigates £95,000 Jaguar
- Tearful Gary Lineker doubles down on Match of the Day row
- Watch: Alastair Campbell’s Newsnight meltdown
- Harry and Meghan’s popularity slumps post-Netflix
- Watch: Douglas Murray takes on Piers Morgan from Israel-Gaza border
- Harry’s mission to save the royal family
- South Park incinerates Harry and Meghan